Coach Raphael Chillious has coached at numerous programs during his tenure. He played collegiately at Lafayette before coaching at West Nottingham, then onto South Kent. After sending multiple players to the NBA and D1, he took his talents to the University of Washington. He has also coached at UCONN, Villanova, and East Carolina before heading back to the helm at the South Kent School. During his career Coach Chillious has coached 19 players who have played in the NBA. In this podcast he talks about how to be a good teammate, his secret to recruiting future pros, how to be a successful student/player both in and out of the gym, and much more.
What You Will Learn
- [1:05] Why come back to the prep school level after years of D1?
- [1:40] Type of player he recruits for South Kent.
- [2:26] Background and why he chose basketball
- [3:09] What drew him to coaching?
- [4:00] His recruiting pitch and why it’s different?
- [5:50] His role at the grassroots level of Nike
- [7:30] Differences of coaching in a college program?
- [13:21] How he helped East Carolina land a Top 10 recruiting class?
- [14:35] What is he doing different this time around at South Kent?
- [16:38] Learn about South Kent
- [19:40] Earning college credits at South Kent.
- [20:40] Famous South Kent alumni
- [22:44] How did Covid affect placement of his players?
- [29:50] Tracking winners and the mentality.
- [31:08] Changes on the court during Covid.
- [32:42] What separates the players you coached who went to the NBA?
- [36:23] Thoughts on NCAA transfer portal
- [38:40] What type of player are you going to take on?
- [45:19] What change would you make to the NCAA?
- [47:37] Biggest win of career?
- [48:33] Best player coached against at the prep and college level.
- [50:06] Hobbies
- [56:17] Favorite Moviel.
Connect with Raphael:
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/southkenthoops/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/CoachChills
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/SouthKentSchool
Connect with Cory:
Website | https://www.mwd-test3.com
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/prep_athletics/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/PREP_Athletics
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/PrepAthletics
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 859-317-1166