Meet Coach Jason Smith, the head coach at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. He’s been a coach for over 20 years and started his coaching career at the young age of 19. In this episode, he talks about his experience at Brewster Academy, which is a Basketball Prep School that’s more concerned with the potential of kids rather than having a ‘typical’ kid. We discuss what really makes a future NBA star different from the others and whether they are born or made. Listen in to learn what has changed in Prep School Basketball over the last 20 years that Jason has been in the scene.
What You Will Learn:
- [1:30] Coach Jason describes his love for basketball, which he played in high school.
- [2:22] The beginning of his basketball coaching career in college, even though he played basketball.
- [4:22] The lessons Jason learned coaching an AAU team and coaching kids from basketball families.
- [7:22] Having a learning mindset- how Jason went from a head coach to an assistant coach to learn from the best.
- [10:13] When he came to Brewster Academy, plus the uniqueness of the school which gives opportunities to all kids with potential.
- [13:30] The character pieces he considers when admitting kids in his basketball team.
- [17:11] He explains what he tells his post grad kids before the game to motivate them.
- [21:22] How prep schools, parents, and players have changed over the last 20 years.
- [24:07] How Jason is advising players looking forward to College Basketball Recruiting this year.
- [26:36] He describes the information he expects to see and not see on the first email he receives from kids.
- [28:16] The discipline that separates kids that make it to the NBA and those who don’t.
- [30:39] Are NBA stars born or made? Donovan Mitchell + Davonte’ Graham.
- [31:23] The best and the worst experiences Jason has ever had with players.
- [37:02] How the Brewster Academy’s sports calendar looks like for 2021 amid the pandemic.
Connect with Coach Jason Smith
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/brewsterhoops/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/brewsteracademy?lang=en
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/BrewsterBasketball
Website | https://www.brewsteracademy.org/athletics/teams/winter-sports/basketball-boys-prep
Connect with Cory:
Website | https://www.prepathletics.com
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/prep_athletics/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/PREP_Athletics
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/PrepAthletics
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 859-317-1166