Meet Coach Thomas “Tom” Messinger, who is the men’s basketball coach at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, VA. In this episode Tom talks about growing up in an athletic family and his journey to working at Hargrave Military Academy. Tom tells us about their military structured program and the benefits of a post grad year. Hargrave has sent 27 players to the NBA in the last 25 years.
What You Will Learn
- [2.13] Coach Messinger’s background and why he decided to play basketball.
- [3.49] Coach talks about his own experience doing a post grad year and how it helped him.
- [6.23] Advice for guards, and how to get to the next level.
- [8:01] Coach Messinger discusses when he realized he wanted to be a basketball coach.
- [8:54] First coaching job.
- [10:43] Information about Hargrave Military Academy.
- [14:02] The style of Hargrave Military Academy.
- [15:50] What does military structure bring to a post grad year program.
- [18:13] Placement of players during Covid and how it is working.
- [19:30] Who and how we recruit to the program.
- [23:00] Social media, how we use it and how it works for the program.
- [24.40] Hargrave assistant coaches and what they bring to the program.
- [28.30] Favorite Hargrave success story.
- [31.30] Coach Messinger’s hobbies and life outside of basketball.
Connect with Coach Messinger:
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/hargravebasketball/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/HargravePGBB
Connect with Cory:
Website | https://www.prepathletics.com
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/prep_athletics/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/PREP_Athletics
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/PrepAthletics
Email | email@example.com
Phone | 859-317-1166