Tom Espinoza is the head prep boys basketball coach at Putnam Science Academy. Tom won National Prep School Championships in 2018 and 2020. He has coached dozens of D1 players to include NBA player Hamadou Diallo. In this conversation we talk about starting a prep school program from scratch, what its like to coach a Top 100 player, his second team, the importance of the open gym recruiting period, coaching multiple 7 footers and more.
What You Will Learn
- [1:17] Information about Putnam Science Academy.
- [3:30] Why did you want to start the program from scratch at Putnam?
- [7:43] How did Tom get his early recruits?
- [9:58] What characteristics do your players need to have?
- [11:55] Advantages/ disadvantages of being on the second team?
- [15:28] How does Tom place players from the second team?
- [16:28] How important is the open gym period for prep school players?
- [21:30] Do you have a recruiting plan with players who have committed to your program?
- [23:46] Discussing NIL (Name Image and Likeness) options with players where they have thepotential to get more money playing at a certain college.
- [28:30] Benefits and challenges of coaching Top 100 players.
- [30:58] What did Hamadou Diallo possess that made him a NBA player?
- [32:49] How having an NBA player from school has helped.
- [34:25] Changes in coaching style due to Covid.
- [38:13] Thoughts on NCAA transfer rule.
- [39:45] Biggest surprise as a player?
- [44:17] Coaching multiple 7 ft players.
- [47:56] Biggest win of career?
- [49:17] Best player coached against?
- [50:11] Hobbies
- [50:26] Favorite Movie
Connect with Tom:
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/putnamsciencehoops/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/PSAhoops
Connect with Cory:
Website | https://www.prepathletics.com
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/prep_athletics/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/PREP_Athletics
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/PrepAthletics
Email | email@example.com
Phone | 859-317-1166