Download Listen On Apple Listen On Google Listen On Spotify Listen On Amazon
In this episode we discuss how he got to the D1 level as a player, his thought process and decision to transfer, coaching a future NCAA Champion/NBA player, recruiting transfers as a college coach, the NAIA level, what it takes for a guard to play D1 and much more. Enjoy
What You Will Learn
- [4:36] What is NAIA basketball?
- [6:33] How did NAIA college basketball programs get so good in Kentucky?
- [8:21] Do NAIA schools offer full or partial scholarships?
- [10:00] Difference between NAIA Division 1 and 2.
- [10:21] How many NAIA colleges offer basketball programs?
- [11:12] Philosophy of how many transfers and high school seniors to take each year
- [16:42] Cons of NAIA programs?
- [18:23] What helped Kelly get a D1 scholarship to Tulsa?
- [19:33] Who recruited Kelly in high school?
- [21:09] Playing for Morehead State Coach Dick Fick – ESPN Story
- [23:39] Kelly’s D1 college transfer experience
- [25:01] What makes Kentucky high school basketball so special?
- [ 27:10] Why does Mason County Kentucky have such good teams?
- [31:54] Coaching at Hawaii Pacific
- [35:33] Grit through kidney transplants
- [36:51] How Kelly won the NAIA national championship title within 5 years of coaching at UPike
- [38:06] Famous Alumni of the University of Pikeville
- [40:09] What does a guard need to play at the D1 level?
- [42:29] Biggest win of his career?
- [43:05] Best player played against?
- [43:49] Best player coached against?
- [44:21] Favorite Movie
- [45:34] Hobbies
Connect with Kelly:
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/seilberg/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/CoachKellyWells
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/seth.eilberg
Website | https://www.thehill.org/athletics/team-pages/boys/basketball
Connect with Cory:
Website | https://www.prepathletics.com
Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/prep_athletics/
Twitter | https://twitter.com/PREP_Athletics
Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/PrepAthletics
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 859-317-1166
Subscribe to the PREP Athletics Podcast:
iTunes | https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/prep-athletics-podcast/id1546265809?uo=4
Spotify | https://open.spotify.com/show/6CAKbXFiIOhoHinzsReYbJ
Stitcher | https://www.stitcher.com/show/prep-athletics-podcast
Google Podcasts | https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy80M2YwZTZkMC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw